I was reading scriptures as we were driving to a little birthday gathering for Stacey, and I was reading about Lehi stuck in the dark and dreary wilderness--& that it was MANY HOURS, so he began to pray. It's interesting too, that it wasn't like everything was suddenly made right by praying, but that Lehi could SEE MORE; he "beheld"--and had better perspective of where he was in things. So I prayed in my little pity party moment that I'd be able to let go of all the stuff that didn't matter and made me sad, and be able to remember how grateful I was in our good life; and it wasn't an instant shift, but I did find that awesome talk by Elder Brough in last Conference, "Lift Up Your Head and Rejoice" as I was looking at things for my YW lesson where he also referred to Lehi and how even in his many trials, HE STILL FOUND JOY, and how, no matter how many hard things we may be facing (much harder than not having good make up even), we can ALWAYS FIND JOY FROM KEEPING THE COMMANDMENTS. That no matter how many things we can't control, or how many hard things there are, we are STILL able to find joy. I wept through the talk, and thought, "Do I need to use this for my lesson tomorrow on ministering??--It impacted me so much", but then the peace came (I had already chosen a different lesson)--that my lesson was fine, and that talk was just for what I needed to hear. As always, it was great to be with family and get caught up with Nate & Stacey's family over good food.
Luke spoke today!--SO great, as you know he always speaks from his heart---and seriously--his whole talk was on JOY, and guess what he used to illustrate?--Lehi and his adversity and 2Ne 2:25, that we really are here to find joy. Love it.
I felt super close to you this week as the sister missionaries called needing someone to go on splits with them!--I got paired up with a BRAND NEW sister who had literally been out of the MTC a week! to go teach 2 siblings chastity and WoW--& as her sr companion left us for a different teaching appt, the new sister kept saying, " But I don't know what to say! I don't know what I'm doing! What am I supposed to do?--& I tried to play it cool, telling her we'd be fine. She told me before we went in, "I just feel like crying all day!" & I assured her it was totally normal and that this was the hardest part, and every day would get better and better. The teaching went great--she stepped in and figured it out just fine, but OH, my heart wanted to hug her all day, bless her heart!! Missionary work is not for the faint of heart!
We have started Lucy's vision therapy, and while we were in Logan, we got her ears pierced for her birthday!! She's excited!! (Other picture is Anne at an assembly getting to make ballooen animals) Everything else is going great--if you come up with any cool Taiwanese names, let us know--I'm really struggling! Love you tons, and SO thrilled with all you're doing!! Gabe Hatch?? asked how you were doing, and EVERYone in the ward always wants an update every time they see us! Love, Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment