We've had some stretching times recently! Here is a quote by John Taylor that I keep running through my mind, half chuckling/ half wondering if Pres. Taylor was actually a real human, as it seems impossible to really face trials with such grace. I've always said I'm much to easily satisfied being IMperfect!
"We have learned many things through suffering. We call it
suffering. I call it a school of experience. I never did bother my
head much about these things. I do not today. What are these
things for? Why is it that good men should be tried? . . . I have
never looked at these things in any other light than trials for
the purpose of purifying the Saints of God that they may be, as
the scriptures say, as gold that has been seven times purified by
the fire. We complain sometimes about our trials. We need not do that.
These are things that are necessary for our perfection." -John Taylor 1884I wrote in my journal today though, that "Trying days create more fertile ground for recognizing and appreciating tender mercies!" And we ARE so blessed!--is it just that everything feels like a trial when you're pregnant and have NO energy and everything-even breathing!-- seems daunting?? I will try and point out how blessed we are even through some of these tricky times :). This post should probably be 4 different ones, DRIVING, CAMPING, VANHUNT, and OTHER--my life feels about as orderly as a run-on sentence, so here we go:
DRIVING
First!--Maddie passed her driving permit test!--Hooray!!--after 4 months, I was more excited than I thought I would be! We came home from the DMV, and I let her take the wheel in the church parking lot--about a block and a half from our house. She did great cruising around and around there, and so I had her start on the way home. On the main road, I told her she could speed up past 15 mph since the speed limit was 35 mph, so she did start to accelerate, and then our turn came up. I pointed this out, but since we were speeding up and NOT slowing down, I tried to say, "Never Mind!!" as she was already hanging a SHARP right turn, now at about 30 mph, we nearly made the turn, only going JUST off the road to run smack into a very sturdy maple tree. Airbags deployed, our screaming subsided, and we assessed the damage. Luckily, most of it was in this photograph!!
The van IS so spacious that we were both so far back from the dashboard, that Maddie's glasses were fine, we barely got scraped, and the baby was thankfully kicking healthily right away. A car expert (and Elders Quorum president) in our ward drove by soon after, neighbors came to assist (making me drink, sit down, and cleaned out the car for me), and Maddie walked around the corner to get Mom and Dad/G&G M (who THANKFULLY were visiting that week!!) while I stayed with the tree owner who was calling to report the accident. Since we felt so unharmed, it took a while to realize our van was not the same, but it was definitely totaled, and we quickly got into a rental, and began the car hunt.
SO...rough that poor Maddie's first day w/ driving ended this way (they should have Parent's Ed before Driver's Ed!!), and a bummer that our awesome deal gov't van w/ LOW mileage AND a full tank of gas and brand new registration was obliterated, but EASY to see the blessings that:
-Mom and Dad WERE here in the middle of a day that I really needed them, AND
-they randomly got a minivan for their rental car, making it much more feasible for us to get around as we adjusted, AND
-Maddie, and I, and our little baby came away unscathed!! AND
-our Insurance was actually so good to work with, getting things taken care of quickly, staying in good contact, giving us a fair deal for the van, and putting to rest all of my nightmares of what could've been.
So, definitely blessed.
It was so nice to have Mom and Dad visit!--since the last year or 2 of their visits have been SO packed w/ responsibility (and weddings/funerals, etc.), that we just enjoyed the ordinariness of life while they were here (which is at a pretty slow pace around here lately!--which may explain the abysmal lack of photos). We did make it with them down to the Nelson Reunion in Provo (while Brent and Maddie watched the Martin Harris pageant for Youth Conference), and enjoyed a personal tour of a Pioneer Village by the mayor, Great Uncle Steve! We learned all kinds of little details, like how tricky it was not having simple things like refrigeration or garbage services, being forced into frontier life whether they enjoyed it or not, and that they didn't stop enjoying "nice things" just because they were in such survival mode. It was good to remember our good, strong heritage that were able to endure their own stretchings. The kids also got to saw off their own wood to make their own "whirligigs"!
AND--Brian made it past the Primaries!! There are 2 slots to fill for City Council, and out of 7 candidates, he and one other combined got half the votes :). So,
Stressful: having added pressure of the election on top of everything else, but
GREAT: having so much good help, getting to work together as a family, seeing Brian shine at debates, etc., and of course, WINNING!!
CAMPING
Mom and Dad left Monday, and we went camping as a family on Thursday. It was a bit hectic:
-We decided that morning to go through with the trip, since Brian had scheduled it off, and it was our last chance of the summer, so we were pretty tired getting everything ready in time
-We didn't have a van after looking hard for a week. and
-We were driving 2 cars to an unfamiliar destination trying to keep up with each other
-Brian's firm was STRUGGLING when summer is usually a good business time for them.
-I was still pregnant (also a blessing, just disguised in discomfort, exhaustion, and eMOtions!)
-Brian had applied for a Layton City Attorney position that has been our hope and happiness these last few weeks, but had not heard back for an interview, and with everything done but the waiting, was feeling tense and stressed.
And then,
-All of the campsites in Cottonwood Canyon (where I'd had my eye on since last year) were full on a THURSDAY!!--we were pretty late, did I mention we had decided last minute?
-We decided to try Farmington Canyon, kind of on our way home, and drove 5 LONG miles up VERY rocky switchback passes as my once shiny and new rental car told me my fuel was VERY low.
-Then it got very dark and very windy very quickly, our phones died, and Brian was downed w/ a brutal migraine (so I slept in the rental car, to try and not bother him, and couldn't decide if putting half of myself into the trunk was preferable to sleeping on the seatbelt buckles :). )---he said he called out later for me to come in and sleep, but I had the windows rolled up in case it got cold!
STILL,
-Farmington Canyon was EMPTY--so much so that we wondered if it were even opened??--we had the whole place to ourselves until Friday night.
-Brent was VERY savvy at setting up our huge tent ALONE. IN THE WIND. Brian had enough juice left to start a fire, and I'd had enough forethought to pre-cook our tinfoil dinners (that tasted like Heaven at 9 PM!!!--did I mention I was still pregnant??!)
-The girls set up a 2nd little tent so Brian could sleep
-It was GOOD to be together as a family, and AWAY from EVERYTHING else (except maybe some of our worrying)--Brian and the kids played this "Adoption Number" game where you have to clap and say your number--endlessly (I'm sure the Friday campers were a little concerned hearing "You're Adopted" every 2 seconds!, but they had fun!)
-Farmington Canyon is GORGEOUS!! The kids found lots of trails for us, and Friday morning, we hiked up to a BEAUTIFUL rock outcropping that gave a breathtaking view into and out of the narrow canyon--all the way to Antelope Island--I was only sorry my phone was dead, not to have any photos!! We also took a pretty rugged (at least with toddlers) hike with our lunches down to Farmington Creek later that day, and ate with our feet in the water, because it was unbearably hot anywhere else. I was glad we went, but let it be recorded: "Camping is NOT relaxing!!"
VANHUNT
We came home, got our check from the Insurance company, got cleaned up, looked at another van (too long)--I feel like Goldilocks with this van hunt!!!: Too long, Too short, Too many miles, Too many dollars!--With our growing family, shrinking bank account, and our length-challenged garage, we had VERY specific requirements!!
Still, I was determined to conquer! With SWEET women spontaneously showing up with dinner once a week, or just to do dishes before we left for church and soccer, I felt I could NOT complain, and had to keep trying. Brian had a whole other week waiting to hear back from the job application, BUT
the firm's business had a great turnaround, right after the voting victory, making it easier to try and be cheerful. After looking at MANY vans, all with major hurdles, we decided our price needed to go up a bit, and I had it down to 2 vans, both in Utah Valley, one of which I was sure I would purchase. Because the idea of driving down and back twice in one day seemed ridiculous, I thought I'd just ride the Front Runner down, and drive one of the vans home. According to mapquest, the house of one owner (where we'd already been) was a little over a mile from the AF Station, and the dealership was even closer to the Orem station--SIMPLE!!
I LOVED riding the train!--such a quiet break, and really fun--though admittedly, it took 2 hours to get to AF instead of one, but just b/c I ended up on the route w/ a service stop :). Then I got off, and started walking and walking, and soon felt like I was back in college, traipsing everywhere on foot. I did make it, the owner was kind enough to delay her schedule long enough for me to take it to a mechanic (though I think I really worried her when she realized I had left no car behind and still wasn't back!!), find quite a long list of needed repairs, though nothing HORRIBLY wrong (?), and come back with a lower offer. She seemed open to my offer, but had to be off, AND had to talk to her husband, so I slowly realized I would not be driving off from this stop. This was about 1:30, and my quick morning Cheerios were wearing off, and I was beginning to think I was close to crazy for having come this far all alone, and with no guarantees! Still, I figured I could at least look at the last van, and decide between the two, so I walked back: here I am in way-western American Fork
got on the train, and rode to Orem, where I got out, started walking again, and then realized (thanks to my phone!) that Mapquest had led me VERY astray, and that the dealership was 4 miles, not 1.1 away from the station!! It was now 3:30, we had soccer and Pack Meeting in just a few hours, and I was barely going to make it. Thankfully, there was a UVU building right at the station with a snack machine, so I found a water bottle and package of trailmix to survive (I HAD gotten a water bottle and bag of almonds ready, then somehow left them behind in my morning rush!), then just got back on the train to go home. When a sister had called that morning saying she was bringing dinner, I nearly told her to take it to one of the families that just had a baby, since I was doing fine!--I was riding the train all over to buy a new van, for Pete's sake!--dinner should be a snap! Boy, was I wrong, and boy, did I weep over that creamy potato soup and blackberry spinach salad w/ chocolate cake for dessert--waiting for me after such a ridiculous day!!
Rough---planning, van results, HOT day
Blessings--safety, SWEET service from our Zionlike ward members, and a call from Stacey while I walked, telling me of a sincere compliment from one of Maddie's friends that she happened to hear about :)--it sure put a spring in my step!
After calling about the repair--needing van--you see, it was a natural gas vehicle, that had the potential of saving us $100-$200/month in fuel cost, and realizing they were NOT willing to drop the price that night, I was ready to try again, and go straight to the dealership--I still liked the train idea, so I took my bike with me to make the 4 miles do-able, and it was, though still time consuming--quite fun riding the train and my bike, and this time being prepared with water and granola bars! :) Lots of funny parts to this van hunting:
-showing up TWICE to test drive vans, only to find that they were as LONG as 15 passenger van, though they were listed as 12 (our garage will only fit 12 length)
-going to see a van the right length, mileage, and price, only to find out it was a dance club shuttle, w/ a big wrap advertising this club, an installed ashtray TABLE, and my personal favorite: a sign posted inside saying, "You will be charged an additional $50 if there is any vomit after your shuttle use"--almost applied to our family!!--my one chance at a party bus!!
-showing up to this dealership, that was Mercedes-Benz, on a bicycle, w/ my backpack (and tummy!) to buy the only Ford van they had!--I felt much more at home visiting the mechanic nearby to have them check it.
Nothing was perfect--this one had lost the last bench--I called 20 salvage yards looking, found one in the classifieds that sold the DAY BEFORE I called, and at last got one on the way home from a junkyard!!--a little dusty, but w/ all the seatbelts, and even matched!--and it needs new ball joints, but the engine's in fine shape, the miles are low, and we are now the proud owners of a van WITH power locks and windows (I used to just wave as people would walk up to the passenger side--hand rolling the window across the aisle was just impossible!), cruise control, a tow-hitch, and 5 cupholders instead of 2!! I should include a picture, but it's so painfully like our old one, it seems anticlimactic! Still white; a Ford instead of a Chevy--and 4 years newer (but, believe me, they don't do much to update vans very often!). I still need to take Maddie out driving again--she seems to be fairly resilient about it all--now reciting driving tips she memorized about when it's dark, or raining, or the speed limit changes :). I did get to drive it home (with my bike in the back), so we are quite relieved to have that settled!--and just in time for school to start! SHWEW!!
Here are the first day photos:
Brent for JR High:
Emily, Anne, and Spencer for Elementary (the Linus girl in the background is clearly not ready to leave home!)
OTHER
as in other blessings:
-we got the Laundry room cleaned out and 7 tubs of little boy clothes/toys taken to DI--SHWEW!!
-the girls (directed by Maddie) painted the "doll room" under the stairs
-BRIAN GOT AN INTERVIEW FOR THE JOB!!!--and he felt great about it--very promising, and a GREAT opportunity--if he gets this one, I'll give more background--after 2 days however, the waiting demons are back as he has to hear back about a 2nd interview for next week (and then wait again if he gets that far, for a final offer!)--poor dear--I'm trying to focus on the joy of one interview!
-school is AWESOME!! Getting up at 5:30, and having everyone gone by 9 means that by 10, I've got more taken care of than some weeks this summer! I'd forgotten how much I love a routine, and though we all were pretty exhausted by Friday, I am feeling so much more hope in being able to stay on top of anything (as in, one at a time) before and after this baby comes!Plus, despite our HUGE lack of school shopping, the kids all had at least shoes w/o holes to wear, and as cute as they all look, it's a MIRACLE in my book (even if Lucy looked quite a bit like an orphan today at church)
-Sweet Angels---I do have good days, like those first few of school, and then at other moments, I'm not sure how I'll make it to the next day, and just then, some sweet lady in the temple will put her arm around me and take care of me for a minute, someone from my ward will drop off a card or a meal (or both), I'll get a note in the mail from Mom, or a call/text from someone, and I know I can't begin to complain that I can't do it, when I'm so far from being alone! It stinks feeling so weak and limited, especially when it's the same time that your spouse is feeling that way, but it really does make the blessings and God's presence UNDENIABLE!! This is just a little stage, and I sure hope I can be more of that person bringing dinner and making the right phone call than I ever have before! I just looked at my next Sunday School Lesson--on Rescue: the Martin & Willey handcart company rescue, and how this is a Gospel of Rescue--that all the Savior has done for us is to rescue us from the weights of this life, and that WE have opportunity and obligations to reach out to each other in the same way--and I have SO been the recipient of that lately!

Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine going through what you have gone through. I love your positive attitude through it all. Don't you just love LIFE and all it brings us? Glad everyone was OK in the accident. Keep smiling.
You are amazing! Seriously, you are just inspirational in how you handle everything!
ReplyDelete