Tuesday, January 1, 2019

12/9/18








 Hope you're feeling better by now! Sickness has moved its way around the house here--Emily & Spencer both missed a day of school this week w/ fevers/colds, but hoping we're through it all in time for Christmas! We had an elementary art show Monday night (read: mobs of people from multiple schools stuff themselves into a cafeteria to see children's artwork spread out on tables-ha!), celebrated Emily's birthday with chicken pillows and cookie dough cheesecake Tues, and shared dinner leftovers with a few families that were sick on Wed.  The ward Christmas Dinner was Thurs, and my nativity costume box was FULLY utilized by all the Primary kids!

Love what a service-focused time Christmas is! We decided to donate old cell phones for our Light the World focus, shared some food with sick neighbors (Emily had a great Birthday feast Tues!), helped a little with the Ward Christmas Dinner, and cleaned at the temple Friday night (would you believe they even had holiday scent in their vacuums?!).  I loved the focus on service, but when I got pulled over after dropping the girls off to school, I had the fleeting thought, "How could this happen when we're trying to help others!"--followed by the sense that opposition is in ALL things.  My knee sat there quivering as I wondered what possible infraction I could've had in the one block journey--& tried to have Jane sit still out of her carseat.  Turns out our registration was expired (since August--eek!)--& having never seen the renewal reminder, I had NO idea!! I didn't have my license with me either (again, short trip!!), so I was all kinds of worry over what the consequences would be.  That nervous feeling of darkness and worry is such a contrast to the hope and light to service, BUT after they ran my information, they came back and simply said, "Charlotte, everybody has days--or even months--like this--get it home and taken care of quickly, because it could get really expensive if you get impounded or anything--too bad you can't blame it on Brian."  SCHWEW!!! Such exhale!--probably because they knew Brian, but also because they knew mercy! That feeling of relief was SO sweet--and ch 22 in 3 Nephi that I had just read the day before came to mind: "my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee.  O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest and not comforted! ....(after homes and streets of jewels), thou shalt be far from oppression for thou shalt not fear, and from terror, for it shall not come near thee;...whosoever shall gather against thee shall fall for thy sake...no weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper...This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord."  It was just a little thing, and a ticket would not have been the end of the world by any means, but I still SO grateful!!

The girls' dance recital was Saturday morning, and though, at first I was mentally beating myself up for being late (again!--even if it was for Anne's lost shoes), I tried to practice better mercy to myself, knowing the Spirit doesn't work in berating us.  Then, I was just filled with gratitude for good wholesome people and the beautiful things this world has to offer.  Breely LOVES teaching dance and all the girls there can tell and just love HER, and to be able to have Anne & Lucy experience the beauty of musical expression in such an uplifting environment, while so much of the world is brought down w/ sensuality/vanity, etc., meant SO much to me!--Also grateful for the dark lighting to cover my tears!😂

Wonderful talk today from High Counselor Chournos today on Christ as the Good Shepherd (he comes from generations of sheep-farming---& that made me think of our great-great-Grandpa Priday that raised all those sheep!):  That shepherds stand watch at the gate to protect their flock w/ their staff and rod (rod is to beat predators); Psalm 23:4-5  And because sheep have no defense for their heads/faces, they are often afflicted with bugbites/stings, and then further injure themselves rubbing against treebark/rocks to seek comfort, and SHEPHERDS, as part of their care, would use olive oil to help heal their wounds, repel bugs, and ease suffering.  Getting out of a ticket or being late to a recital may be as significant as a bugbite in the grand scheme of things, but it is pretty amazing, that Christ cares to help us even in those little troubles.  God definitely loves us! So proud of all you're doing! One brother caught me before Sacrament Mtg today to say how much he loved your visits for shut-ins, what a sharp dresser 😉 and great young man you are!  Love you so much! Love, Mom






Emily's FBLA awards!!




No comments:

Post a Comment