Sunday, July 31, 2011
Pioneer Day sparklers
We didn't find them in time for the 4th, but it's great in Utah that we have a 2nd go-round of festivities w/ Pioneer day for the sparklers. Aerials were made legal this year (to help revenue), and so NIGHTLY, you can see (or at least HEAR) fireworks all through July in the neighborhood. Monday was Pioneer Day "observed", and since Brian didn't get the day off until the last possible moment (on the way to work--yes, he's a partner, and yes, they could work a little on communication!)--we worked on the bathroom, and then, thanks to Great Dad! (I looked at him @ 6PM and said, "We really need a pioneer day party b/c I don't know what to make for dinner this late!)--we had a little party of hotwings and sparklers that night. It was especially soothing to my "MissingMildenhallReunion wounds." I had woken up that morning thinking we might still be able to make it to Kansas City in time, and kept going through solutions in my mind. With Maddie having to be at Girls Camp the next week though, not to mention our anniversary date planned and paid for, it just wasn't coming together. The hard part was that it wasn't absolutely impossible, and there are days I get tired of being practical (mind you, it's not too many days, but they are there!) , so just the inkling of hope kept me doubting my decisions! We definitely missed everyone, but did have a good week here.
We heard many Harry Potter references that night, and rightly so, since we just enjoyed opening night of the LAST movie of the LAST book! Maddie went w/ a friend, and Brian & I took Brent that Friday it came out. It was a really fun (though I came home, reviewed the book, and remembered HOW MUCH BETTER and WONDERFULLLLLLL the books are!--Hollywood just can't handle too much of a message of the power of goodness and love). I laughed at Brian and Brent, who kept wondering why everyone was clapping and cheering in the theater all through the show. I finally leaned over and explained it was the opening day excitement--and just enjoy it. Brian didn't realize it was opening night, and worried we should've worn costumes or something to blend in--I don't think they ever did get into the cheering, etc., but I loved it---it always reminds me of movies at BYU's Varsity theater too--such a community experience :).
After our sparklers were gone, we watched fireworks over the fence at the end of our little street for a while (and the boys let Dad ignite snaps off of their heads)--and YES--we were wearing JACKETS in JULY!!! Anne had just had her bath, so she was chilly, but it was kind of a cloudy night, and we were VERY COOL!!!---have I mentioned how much I've loved this summer??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment